THE AUSTRALIAN TAPESTRY WORKSHOP KATE DERUM AWARD WAS ESTABLISHED TO HONOUR KATE’S MEMORY AND HER SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION TO TAPESTRY AS FORMER DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND A WEAVER. THE AWARD CELEBRATES KATE AS AN ACCOMPLISHED ARTIST, RESPECTED TEACHER, AVID SUPPORTER OF THE ATW AND AMBASSADOR FOR AUSTRALIAN TAPESTRY.
THE AWARD IS OPEN TO ALL PROFESSIONAL AUSTRALIAN AND INTERNATIONAL TAPESTRY ARTISTS.
THIS AWARD IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY SUSAN MORGAN IN MEMORY OF KATE DERUM, AND ALAYNE AND ALAN DAVIES IN MEMORY OF THEIR MOTHER IRENE DAVIES.
KATE DERUM AWARD:
A non-acquisitive award of $5,000 AUD
IRENE DAVIES EMERGING ARTIST’S AWARD:
A non-acquisitive award of $1,000 AUD
(for artists in the first five years of their professional practice)
Entries open: Monday 1 May 2017
Entries close: Sunday 4 June 2017
Exhibition opening and award announcement: Tuesday 8 August 2017 6 – 8 pm 2017
Exhibition runs: Wednesday 9 August – Friday 29 September 2017
HOW TO ENTER:
Please read entry conditions below. You will be able to enter using a online form on 1 May 2017 when the entries open. When completing the form we suggest you draft your text seperately then copy and paste it in.
- Complete the online entry form (contact details & submission details e.g. title of work, date, size, medium etc)
- Upload one page CV (PDF)
- Provide a 150 word statement describing the work submitted
- Upload 2 images of the actual work being submitted (a full view and a detail, JPEG, no larger than 1MB each)
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Works must be hand woven tapestry, defined as ‘a weft-faced fabric with discontinuous wefts’
- Works must measure a maximum of 30 cm(h) x 30 cm(w) x 2 cm(d).
- Works must have been made since June 2015.
- Open to professional Australian and international artists
- Finalists will be selected from online entries received, there will be a separate list of finalists for each award
- To enter the Irene Davies Award artists must be in their first five years as a tapestry weaver
- Finalists need to post or deliver their entry to the ATW to be included in the exhibition and award
- The awards will be announced on the opening night
- Works must be unframed and prepared for installation
- Artists are responsible for the cost of delivering the works to the ATW and insurance or the works in transit to and from the ATW.
- The ATW will insure works whilst at the ATW
- The ATW will cover the cost of returning the works to the artists by registered mail up to $35AUD/2kg parcel weight.
- Any works submitted, other than those nominated in the entry form, will not be considered by the judging panel.
- Each entry will require a separate entry form
- The Judges decision is final and no discussion will be entered into
- The ATW reserves the right to declare ineligible any work that does not conform to their interpretation of the terms of the Conditions of Entry